18 July 2009

Oh Canada

The scope of the trip has changed since I met up with Derek and his Dad in Lévis, a small city across the river from Québec city. Since then, we've been cycling forty to seventy miles every day until today...hence why I haven't posted until now. 



At a campground a few nights ago, we were all set up and the sky was nearly black. I was treated to a haircut by Derek Scissorhands who tackled my wig with but a tiny pair of folding scissors, and I was examining my new trim when Derek said, "Hey, there's a cat!"


My eyes darted in the darkness and landed on a small, pale figure slinking about our camp. At first our visitor seemed shy, but we were too interested to let her off the hook. This was not a mangy stray with matted fur or a foamy mouth. This was a healthy, beautiful kitten.


It didn't take much coaxing before she was in Derek's arms purring. We were bemused. Where did she come from? Her coat was soft, and she wasn't thin, but no collar. With so many other folks staying at the campground, so many possibilities of an owner, we didn't know what to do with her.




I've long dreamed of finding a pet out on the road that could to ride with me on bicycle tours. As I sat there stroking this precious, purring ball of fur, I imagined this kitten, Derek and I traveling through Québec farm country with Kitty riding in a basket on the handlebars, ears flapping in the breeze--


Derek snapped me out it. "We can't keep her. Maybe we should leave her by the bathrooms. Hopefully someone might adopt her."





I reluctantly trudged with them to the bathrooms where Derek set her down in a lit area. We watched as she sniffed the grass and rolled in the dirt. She seemed okay. Derek pulled me away before I could change my mind.

At one campground after passing through Montréal, we were pleasantly surprised to find lovely riverside accommodations. After hiding in our tents during a short downpour, we stepped outside to find a FULL RAINBOW right in front of us, resting on the Saint Lawrence River.

(Sorry, I can't find the other half, but I swear it was a FULL rainbow.) 




So far we have visited three of the biggest cities in Canada: Québec, Montréal, and Ottawa. Floundering in French has been fun. Now in Ottawa, where everything is half French, half English, I find myself missing the chaos and confusion of trying to get by in a land where I don't speak the language. Derek mainly misses the poutine.



It's has been a different kind of experience cycling with two others. There are pros and cons to it, but mostly I feel safer and more secure because I know that no matter where we end up, we'll be together.

No comments:

Post a Comment