02 July 2009

Encounter with the Law

As it went, I spent the rest of last night after laundromat fun in the Central Albany Police Station, as it seemed like the safest place to hide out until daylight. It had gotten too dark to ride any further while I was still in the city, and I was not wanting to ride through the outskirts after dark.


"Where are you headed?" the officer asked.


"Montréal," I said.


"By yourself?"


This conversation always amuses me, because I know beforehand what the reaction will be: a look of disbelief.


I had the bench in the front lobby to myself, but it had an armrest in the middle so I could not stretch out. Never before have I had so many cramps in various parts of my body. I dreamt of a soft sleeping bag as the television droned through the night.


Before I left this morning, I asked the officer how often he hears of something happening to a person on a bicycle tour. "Not often," he said. I suspect he never has.


We got to talking about why it is that some people are horrified by the idea of traveling alone on a bicycle. He said that they probably imagine a perilous journey, constantly fighting the weather, traffic, and scary people. I would say that yes, these dangers do exist, and must be confronted on a regular basis, but this usually accounts for about 5% of riding time. The other 95% is pleasant, refreshing, or challenging/rewarding.


Northward ho!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erika!

    I was going to ask you if you're staying dry, but it seems as though we're in the same boat.

    Any month now sunshine, any month...

    Hang in there on your horrifying, perilous journey, I'll see you soon :)

    Derek

    ReplyDelete